Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Grandma's handmade blue apron.
Church rummage sale black handmade apron.
Great-Grandma's white handmade apron.
Mom's red handmade apron.
Mini Violets rooting in a glass jar.
Blooming after a short winter rest.

.

I've been taking baby steps in making healthier food choices for my husband and me.  While I've always been conscious of what I eat because of some food sensitivities, slowly I'm incorporating "health food" into the meals I prepare for both of us at home.  Sometimes they're a hit with you-know-who, sometimes...not so much.  It's tricky to make good-for-you food that doesn't taste like it's good for you, if you know what I mean.

At the grocery store the other day, I bought a few veggies I'd never prepared before, and pretty sure have never eaten.  Today I played with turnips.  Thinking that a turnip just has to taste better if it's disguised as a french fry, I chopped three turnips into long thin slices and put them in a single layer in a roasting pan.  

The butcher knife was my great-grandma's.  Best. Knife. Ever.

Then I mixed together a few TBS of olive oil and a few shakes of Herbes de Provence, a spice mixture made up of rosemary, marjoram, thyme and savory.
(I like this blend because it does not include oregano like some other spice blends do)


I poured the spice and olive oil mixture over top of the turnips, added salt and pepper, and stirred to coat.


After roasting at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes (turning over the fries once in awhile with a spatula),  here's how the turnip fries turned out.


Just to make the transition a little easier, I mixed the turnip fries with roasted sweet potato fries on my husband's plate.
 He didn't say "you don't really need to make this again", so I consider it a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment