Monday, February 17, 2014

We're just getting settled back in after spending a nice weekend up north.  My husband had a rare winter weekend at home, and even though we weren't technically at our house, we were "at home" in a cabin near where he grew up.  The reason for the trip up north was to attend an award banquet where my father-in-law had the esteemed honor of being inducted into the Snowmobile Hall of Fame in St. Germain, WI.  He had a long and influential career in the snowmobile racing community.  

Here he is during his acceptance speech.  



On Saturday it was a balmy (she says sarcastically) 20 degrees outside, so Pompeii and I stopped and took a nice long walk around the town of Minocqua.

A kids' pond hockey tournament was being held out on the lake.

Vehicles park on the frozen lake.  Temporary "rinks" are set up on the ice.


These kids learn to skate as toddlers.  Hockey is a big darn deal around here.

Check out the snowmobile parking at the local pub.  That's another big darn deal around here.



It's been so long since Pompeii and I have spent much time in the fresh air.  It was wonderful to be out and about.  We walked past this cute little building.  Wouldn't it make a fun art studio?

Wonder what goes on in here...



This mural is painted on the side of a building a couple blocks off the main street in town.


How I love this wreath that hangs outside a gourmet food and coffee shop!  Burlap coffee bags are going on the list in my head of stuff to look for while thrifting.


I just want to put coffee burlap bows on everything...

No one's safe.


I took a self-portrait in a store window.  Ideally I would've like to be smiling, but at the last minute I noticed a guy sitting and watching in a car right there.  Sometimes I'm really just in my own little world and forget that other people may be around (my animals are used to this kind of behavior).  Plus Pompeii was intermittently pulling on the leash and whining while I was trying to keep the camera still.  So I snapped the picture real quick and we moved on.  We were getting cold anyway, as it started to snow on the way back to the car.

We rented a little cabin at a resort near where the award banquet was held.  It was the cutest little thing, felt just like you stepped right into another era, either the sixties or seventies, or maybe a combination of the two.  The furniture and dishes and decorations were all obviously from another decade, but everything was in such good condition and really clean, so it didn't feel "old".  


View from the frosty car window.


It's a snowy Monday here, as we're expecting up to six inches of snow today.  I'm staying inside and finishing up some projects that are in the works.



The other evening we had a lovely sunset.  I was driving to a friend's house and had my camera along, so I stopped along the road and took this out the car window.  There was a light mist in the air at the time, and the sky was the color of orange sherbet!




Stay warm and cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment