Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time.
~Deborah Chaskin

It’s been said that you can judge someone's character by looking at the friends they surround themselves with.   The last few months I've treasured spending time with the sweet souls who mean the world to me.
I've discovered that it’s good for the spirit to spend time with old friends, even if it’s just one evening every twenty years or so.  And it’s a great comfort to see that despite our life experiences, we are all very much the same people we used to be.
It’s humbling to reconnect with the best friend I swore I’d always stay in touch with but didn't, and my heart breaks that she’s going through a tough time and I wish I’d been there to support her.
I'm so blessed that two of my best friends are my Mom and my Sister, and I can tell them absolutely anything without fear of judgment.
I'm so fortunate to have found a friend who is a kindred spirit, but is also different in ways that we compliment each other perfectly.
I now realize that I don’t have to live near someone, or have ever met them in person, to consider theirs a genuine and lasting friendship.
People can be friends despite a world of difference in lifestyle and religion.  It's fun getting to know each other and finding common ground, as long as no one tries to convince the other they are wrong.

Age means nothing.
It may take time apart to heal and process, but the connection can still survive.
I've learned that jealousy is a friendship killer, and it’s okay to walk away from a relationship that requires too much effort to make it work.  And I don’t have to feel guilty about it.
I’ll never again judge someone too quickly…they may just turn out to be one of my closest confidants and have a profound influence on my life.
Above all I realize that I’m so very grateful to all of my beloved friends
-old and new,
far and near-
 and it’s a very good thing to tell them so.

No comments:

Post a Comment