Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I've caught the crud.  Since Christmas it's been creeping up, and now I'm down for the count.

I read on a natural health blog that slathering eucalyptus oil on the bottom of the feet can help with congestion.  My very un-scientific explanation is that the bottom of our feet are very porous so stuff can be absorbed more quickly.  Willing to try just about anything to feel better - except get a flu shot - I've been trying this feet thing using eucalyptus and spearmint oil from Bath & Body Works.  A friend introduced me to this scent while we were shopping before Christmas, and I've been hooked ever since. BTW, this isn't a paid endorsement...just want to share my good find!

Eucalyptus Spearmint "stress relief" from Bath & Body Works
Also, lavender oil can be added to the eucalyptus concoction and applied to the bottom of the feet, which I've tried too.  I'm not sure if this ritual is really helping my sickness, but it's a nice treat to oil up my tootsies and wrap them in a thick pair of Smart Wool socks.

In between naps and bouts of coughing I've been cleaning up my studio.  During the holidays my room became a catch-all for stuff I didn't know what to do with, and I didn't spend much creative in there once I was on the road for the holiday sales I did.  I'm also the very fortunate recipient of some fun hand-me-down items from my aunts, mom, and friends.  I had yet to put the new-to-me stuff away in the proper place, so that added to the ever growing piles.  I really can't wait to use these new things in upcoming creations, so that is my reward once everything is nice and tidy.  Really can't believe I let my studio get so disheveled.  I even took a picture of it for posterity but am embarassed to show anyone.  Then again...maybe if I post the picture here, it will be a reminder to stay on top of things.  Yeah, that sounds like a good idea...so...
Ready for this?

Well, the bright side is that Pompeii was able to find a cozy place to rest while I dug into the piles.  My goal is to keep the countertops and work table clear of clutter, something I've struggled with since, well, forever.  I brought down a metal shelving unit from the attic that will now house my jewelry supplies and beads.  Knitting supplies are now being kept on a shelf in the garage.  I've tossed a couple garbage bags full of junk, packaging, and unfinished wayward projects.  Think I need one more day in there before posting an official "after" picture. 

Right now it's late at night and I can't sleep due to daytime naps and cold medicine, so I'm looking through Christmas photos.  Thought I'd share a few...

Our first Christmas celebration was with my husband's family, where we rented a cabin up north for a few days.
Not a bad view to wake up to!

Plum Lake - Sayner, WI
My mother-in-law made this adorable bear for her granddaughter as a Christmas gift.
She used a pattern that her own mother had used, making it even more special!

Our niece settled in for a long winter's nap...

The day after Christmas we drove to Illinois to spend time with my parents and sister's family.

We played outside in the snow and on the ice...

We opened presents, ate cookies, and played video games.

Even did some target and skeet shooting, and my Dad showed me how to shoot a pistol.  

One of the days we went to see the Harlem Globetrotters play, that was a fun day.

We really had a relaxing Christmas this year, despite the traveling.  It was awesome to be able to spend good quality time with both of our families.  

There was one happy kitty here when we finally got home!

Here's a picture I took before Christmas of our girl waiting patiently to eat her cookie.
Sweet, sweet girl.

Well I'd better try to get some sleep now, it feels like the NyQuil is kicking in.
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment